Browsing through recipes I’ve collected over the years, I put my fingers on one that would be just perfect for this hot and humid day. Banana Split Cupcakes. I clipped it out of a magazine back in 2012. Of course, I’d make a gluten-free version.
The recipe called for:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to1 gluten-free baking flour)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- l large mashed banana
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
What To do:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the mashed banana, milk, sour cream and vanilla
- Cream the butter and gradually add the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and then the banana mixture to the butter mixture.
- Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners and spoon batter into the cups. Fill about 2/3 of the cup.
- Bake between 18 to 22 minutes. (Everyone’s oven is different.) They are finished when toothpick comes up clear.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
Once they’re cooled, the fun part begins. Just before you serve them, top each cupcake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drip some chocolate-flavored syrup over the ice cream and then put a dollop of whipped cream on top. It’s not finished until you crown it with a maraschino cherry.
Don’t they look sooo good?
Now dig in and enjoy!