I Was Near Death and Didn’t Know It

In December of 2005, I went to the hematologist for my routine blood test. I told her how awful I was feeling. There were times I was so cold my teeth would chatter. I constantly heard a pounding in my ears or what sounded like a swarm of locusts. I walked my dogs in the backyard when I got home from work each day and I could barely stand up without holding onto the fence or a tree. She told me exactly why I was feeling so poorly. Remember I mentioned in a previous blog that the hemoglobin count doctors like to see is 12. Well… mine was now down to 3. She told me that a couple more days and my heart and kidneys would have failed. She admitted me to the hospital that very minute. My son, who had driven me to my appointment, was in the waiting room. She asked one of the office staff to bring him to her office and told him I was being admitted. I insisted on going home to pack a bag first but my doctor wouldn’t hear of it because of the seriousness of my condition.

The next thing I knew I was lying in a hospital bed and receiving a 6-pint blood transfusion. That’s more than half the blood in your body. This may sound stupid but I wondered if they would have to drain 6 pints of blood out of me before putting the new blood into me. The answer was no. The new blood would just be absorbed into my body. By the next morning I was sitting up in bed and feeling much, much better. Receiving 6 pints of iron rich blood did the trick.  I was anxious to go home. I had a big smile on my face when my hematologist came in to check on me. I told her I was feeling good and ready to go home. She told me I would be staying the week so I could rest and undergo some testing. WHAT? It was the week between Christmas and New Year’s. I was hosting a New Year’s Eve party at my house. My hematologist wanted my GI doctor to perform an endoscopy and a colonoscopy to see if he could find anything. I had lost so much iron. It had to be going somewhere. However, his tests showed nothing. I was released at the end of the week and hosted my party after all. Happy New Year!

I don’t know if I mentioned that I love to do Sodoku puzzles. Actually, my son started doing them years ago and got me hooked. I found his book of puzzles recently and did a few.


I saw him a couple of weeks ago and handed him his Sodoku book back. He wouldn’t take it and told me I could keep it. I asked him why and he said because he was working on puzzle #24 in the waiting room the day he drove me to the hospital and was summoned into my doctor’s office. He never finished that puzzle. I flipped to it and sure enough it’s only half finished. He never wants to see that book again because it brings back bad memories. I’m so happy I’m alive and able to do Sodoku puzzles. I try to do one a couple of times a week and will do so until the book is finished.


Then I guess I’ll throw the book away, but not before I rip out the page with puzzle #24 on it. That… I just may save.

Until next time…